Top 5 Best Schools for Psychiatry in the USA
@ $50,000 CANADA GOVERNMENT JOBS - APPLY NOW
@ $10,000 SCHOLARSHIPS IN USA - APPLY NOW
@ MEDICAL SCHOOLS IN USA - APPLY NOW
@ HIGH PAYING JOBS IN CANADA - APPLY NOW
@ BARBER JOBS IN USA - APPLY NOW
Is it possible to get an advanced degree in psychiatry in the USA? A quick do-not-waste-my-time answer is “Yes”! But finding the best school for your desired field of study can be challenging, especially if you want to earn a degree that’s not offered at many other schools around the country.
Luckily, there are some of the best schools for psychiatry in the USA that can help you learn about this important mental health speciality and earn your degree at the same time. Here are the 5 best schools for psychiatry in the USA that will provide you with everything you need to succeed as both a student and psychiatrist.
What is Psychiatry?
Psychiatry is a branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental, emotional and behavioural disorders. It is a relatively new field, having only been established as a medical speciality in the late 19th century and also a branch of medicine that is constantly evolving, as our understanding of the human mind grows.
Today, psychiatry is an integral part of the healthcare system, with psychiatrists working in hospitals, clinics and private practices all over the world. In the United States, there are nearly 50,000 professionals practising psychiatrists.
Who is a Psychiatrist?
A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specialises in diagnosing and treating mental health conditions. They primarily use medication to treat symptoms but sometimes may use a combination of therapy and other treatments to help their patients. Psychiatrists often work with other mental health professionals, such as psychologists, to provide the best care possible.
Psychiatrists are trained to understand the biological, psychological, and social factors that influence mental health. They work with patients to understand their symptoms and develop a treatment plan.
If you’re interested in becoming a psychiatrist, you’ll need to complete four years of undergraduate study, followed by four years of medical school and at least three years of residency training. After that, you may choose to pursue a fellowship or subspecialty training
Top 5 Best Schools for Psychiatry in the USA
1. Harvard University
Harvard University is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts and was founded by the Massachusetts General Court in 1636. It is the oldest institution of higher learning in the United States and is one of the most prestigious universities in the world as it’s a private Ivy League research institution.
Harvard Medical School is the oldest medical school in the United States and is affiliated with 15 hospitals and research institutes. The psychiatry department at Harvard Medical School offers a four-year residency program that includes clinical training, research, and teaching opportunities.
The faculty at Harvard is world-renowned, and the facilities are top-notch. Students at Harvard have access to the latest resources, and technology and go through a rigorous curriculum that’s challenging, but also very rewarding. If you want to become a psychiatrist, Harvard University is an excellent choice.
Some of Harvard University medical school’s notable alumni are:
- Nadine Burke Harris, a Canadian-American paediatrician and the first Surgeon General of California
- Mandy Krauthamer Cohen, a physician, public health official, and the former Director of the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention
- John S. Marr, an American epidemiologist, physician, and author
- Endang Rahayu Sedyaningsih, an Indonesian physician, researcher and the former Indonesian Minister of Health
- David Judson Sencer, a public health official and the longest-serving Director of the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention
2. Columbia University
Columbia University is a royal private Ivy League research university established on May 25th of 1754. This royal institution was originally named King’s College but went through a series of name changes before it permanently got its current name in 1896.
Columbia institution is one of the leading schools for psychiatry in the United States. The school offers excellent clinical training, a world-class education and research opportunities.
The faculty is made up of leading experts in the field, and the curriculum covers all aspects of mental health. There are a total of 33,413 students currently enrolled at Columbia University, 6,394 undergraduates, and 24,412 postgraduates.
The school also has a strong research program, with faculty members conducting groundbreaking studies in areas such as child and adolescent psychiatry, eating disorders, and mood disorders.
Some of Columbia University alumni are:
- Robert Andrews Millikan, an American experimental physicist who won the 1923 Nobel prize for Physics
- Stephen Jay Gould, a palaeontology, science historian, and evolutionary biologist
- Francis Mechner, a research psychologist known for developing and introducing a formal symbolic language for the codification and notation of behavioural contingencies
- Mihajlo Idvorski Pupin, a Serbian physical chemist and physicist
- Josephine Platner Shear, an American archaeologist and numismatist who was the excavation lead for the Agora excavations
- Herman Hollerith, a German-American inventor, businessman, and the founder of IBM (International Business Machines Corporation)
- Kai-Fu Lee, a Taiwanese computer scientist, businessman and the founder of Google China
3. Johns Hopkins University
Situated in Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University, named after its benefactor, Philanthropist Johns Hopkins, is a private research university that was founded on February 22, 1876. The school has an endowment of over $9.32 billion and is ranked as the 3rd best university in the United States by US News & World Reports.
The school’s psychiatry department boasts an excellent faculty and top-notch facilities with a strong focus on clinical training.
Johns Hopkins University offers a four-year MD program with a psychiatry and behavioural sciences concentration. Students at JHU are offered a world-renowned education and take coursework in topics like medical ethics, neuroscience, and pharmacology.
Speciality areas at Hopkins psychiatry school include anxiety disorders, AIDS psychiatry, mood disorders, memory disorders, brain stimulation, OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder), eating disorder, schizophrenia, geriatric psychiatry, and much more.
Some of Johns Hopkins University’s notable alumni are:
- Vinod Bhakuni, an Indian molecular biophysicist and the head of the Molecular and Structural Biology Division of the CDRI (Central Drug Research Institute)
- Lynne Marrie Musgrave Angerer, a developmental biologist
- Hattie Elizabeth Alexander, an American microbiologist and paediatrician
- David S. Bredt, a molecular neuroscientist and the research leader in pharmaceutical companies
4. University of California – San Francisco
The University of California, San Francisco or UCSF, as it’s called by the locals, is a public land-grant research institution situated in San Francisco and was founded in 1864 by Hugh Huger Toland, a South Carolina Surgeon. The school was originally founded as Toland Medical College, later changed name to The Medical Department of the University of California and got its permanent name in 1983.
This pre-eminent medical institution offers a world-class education in psychiatry, with a focus on research and clinical practice. Students here have the opportunity to work with some of the world’s leading experts in the field, and they benefit from a curriculum that is constantly evolving to stay at the cutting edge of psychiatric care.
UCSF offers a wide range of courses and training opportunities, and its faculty is composed of some of the most respected psychiatrists in the country. If you’re looking for a top-notch education in psychiatry, UCSF is definitely worth considering.
Some of the University of California – San Francisco’s notable alumni are:
- Sue Desmond-Hellmann, an American oncologist and biotechnology leader
- Michael R. Harrison, a pediatric surgeon who developed the techniques used for fetal surgery and the founder of the UCSF Fetal Treatment Center
- Joseph Gilbert Hamilton, an American professor of Medical Physics and Experimental Radiology
- Walter Samuel Graf, a cardiologist and pioneer in the creation of the emergency paramedic care system
5. University of Pittsburgh
The University of Pittsburgh, also known as Pitt, is a public state-related research institution established on February 28, 1787.
Pitt has a long-standing reputation for excellence in the medical field, and its faculty includes some of the world’s leading experts on mental health.
The University of Pittsburgh offers a comprehensive curriculum that covers all aspects of psychiatric care, from assessment and diagnosis to treatment and research. They offer a wide range of courses and training programs that are perfect for those interested in this field.
The faculty is experienced and passionate about their work, and they provide a supportive environment for students. Additionally, the university has a strong commitment to research, which means that students have access to cutting-edge resources and facilities.
Some of the University of Pittsburgh’s notable alumni are:
- Orrin Grant Hatch, a US politician and attorney
- Philip Showalter Hench, an American physician
- Wangari Muta Maathai, a Kenyan social, environmental and political activist who happens to be the first African woman to win a Nobel Peace Prize
- Vjosa Osmani-Sadriu, a Kosovar Albanian jurist and the 5th President of Kosovo
In order to become a psychiatrist, you will need to complete an accredited psychiatric residency. After completing medical school and undergraduate studies, you will be eligible to apply for a psychiatric residency.
After that, you can choose to specialize in a psychiatry sub-niches. The schools on this list are all accredited and will give you the best chance of becoming a successful psychiatrist.
Hope this list of the 5 best schools for psychiatry in the United States, based on factors such as reputation, research opportunities, and clinical training will help you find a prospective institution to attend.
- Usnews.com – Best Schools for Psychiatry in the USA
- Harvard.edu – Harvard University
- Columbia.edu – Columbia University
- Jhu.edu – Johns Hopkins University
- Ucsf.edu – University of California – San Francisco
- Pitt.edu – University of Pittsburgh