Established in 2008, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, also referred to as the Rhodes scholarship of Canada, is one of the scholarship schemes by the Government of Canada. It was created to attract and equip world-class doctoral students by offering them a significant financial award to assist them to further their studies at a Canadian university.
The Vanier CGS program helps Canada’s universities attract excellent doctoral students from around the world to Canada. These ambitious scholars help create a dynamic and innovative environment on Canadian university campuses.
Since its foundation, the Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships has garnered partners that have supported the noble course. The partners include the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, Industry Canada, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council, and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.
Scholars who have benefited from the Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships demonstrate good leadership skills and a high level of standard in scholarly achievement in graduate studies.
Keep reading to know about what you need to apply for the scholarship, its acceptance rate, eligibility, selection criteria, and more.
The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is a partial scholarship. Applicants who qualify for the scholarship will be awarded an annual stipend for up to 3 years to aid in clear outstanding school fees.
The scholarship award will aid elevate the payment load of the tuition fees for domestic students seeking admission to study one any eligible postgraduate selected programs. Students will also be faced with other school fees to pay in full and other outstanding fees.
The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is open to applicants from across Canada and all countries of the world.
To be eligible for The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, applicants must fulfill the following eligibility criteria.
- Applicants who have applied to study at a Canadian university for a place on an eligible course will be considered for a scholarship application.
- Applicants who apply before the deadline.
- Students who have all the required documents and passed the required tests.
- Students must be self-funded and full-time students.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate a need for financial support.
- Applicants must show research and leadership potential.
- Applicants must be active in the field with work experience or a proven interest in their course of study.
The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships accepts diverse students and does not relegate them to a type of applicant. The Selection process is made without regard to sexual orientation, gender, ethnic origin, marital status, gender identity, race, social background, caste, color, disability, or religion.
Not everyone qualifies for The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships. People who fall under this category will be exempted from the scholarship.
- Postgraduate applicants who do not have an undergraduate degree or equivalent will not be able to complete their undergraduate program before the deadline.
- Postgraduate students who have graduated with GPAs do not reach the required GPA for the chosen course of study.
- Applicants who have performed poorly on their English Language Test.
- Applicants who apply for the scholarship after the deadline.
- Applicants who are seeking admission for a program of study that is not among the eligible programs for the scholarship.
- Applicants who are not self-funding and an going to be full-time students.
- Applicants who are unable to demonstrate the need for financial support.
The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is made available only to students who want to pursue a postgraduate degree. Through the Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, over 166 students have been supported to enroll in a postgraduate degree program.
The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is only available for social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health-related courses.
The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships offers 50,000 Canadian dollars per year for three years to eligible applicants.
Because this is a partial funding, students who have been awarded the Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship can also apply for other financial aid in their universities because the Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships may not be able to cover all school fees at your chosen university.
To apply for the Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, the applicants either inform the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship program or the university starts the nomination process by contacting eligible students.
When applying for admission at the selected universities, students may also be required to submit supporting documents like original academic records from past schools, a resume/CV, and a personal statement that may address:
- Why do you choose to study the course of your choice.
- The interests you have and how it relates to your chosen course of study.
- Why their university is the place you have chosen to study that course.
- Why you should be considered for the Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships.
- What your career goals are and your plans after graduation?
- And more
Applicants must also meet entry education requirements for the program they are applying to. Other things to consider include references, interviews, and offers.
– Level 6.0 (with the least subtest score of 5.5) may be required from international students.
All applications will be reviewed to check if applicants fulfill the eligibility criteria using the university’s procedures. Successful applicants will be informed about the scholarship plan.
The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships gives detailed instruction on how to send your applications.
The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships 2022/2023 will be awarded to applicants that will be starting their postgraduate studies in 2022/2023.
Deadlines can vary among universities. It is ideal to check out the deadlines among the many supported universities. Applications are prepared by the students and submitted to the nominated universities by their internal deadline using the ResearchNet application system.
The nominated universities goes on to perform the internal candidate selection process and forward the nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat by November 1, 2022. The Secretariat coordinates the review process and presents the recommendations to the Tri-Agency Programs (TAP) Steering Committee.
The TAP Steering Committee endorses and approves final decisions for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship program. Nominated applicants may be notified of their results in April 2023.
The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is a partial scholarship. This means that students are not guaranteed that the yearly scholarship award fund will be enough for their outstanding fees.
Outstanding school fees like course fees and living expenses, which includes food, accommodation, heating, books, stationery, and travel will need to be covered by students.
Tuition fees are a yearly payment which is acceptable in pound sterlings and other currencies. Students who pay at their respective universities can pay their tuition fees can either use the online card payment, Payment by bank transfer, and Payment in cash.
The Government of Canada offers other external financial aid which may require an additional application or automatic consideration for students who apply to universities through the provided link and also meet the set criteria.
The financial aid is targeted at both international and home students who want to study in Canada. Some of the financial aid is fully funded while others are partially funded scholarships. They offer a range of scholarships, bursaries, and funding for undergraduates and postgraduates.
The financial aid includes:
- Australian Postgraduate Awards
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Bright Flight (Missouri scholarship)
- Bright Futures Scholarship Program
- Canada Millennium Scholarship Foundation
- Chevening Scholarship
- China Scholarship Council
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- Danish Government Scholarship
- Endeavor Awards
- Erasmus Mundus
- Erasmus Programme
- Fulbright Program
- German Academic Exchange Service
- Health Professions Scholarship Program
- King’s Scholarship (Thailand)
- Korean Government Scholarship Program
- Malala Yousafzai Scholarship Act
- Monbukagakusho Scholarship
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Saltire Scholarship
- Singapore Armed Forces Overseas Scholarship
- Taiwan Scholarship
- Türkiye ScholarshipsAnd many more.
The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships aims to help scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, or health-related fields.
The Government of Canada Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship offers opportunities to students seeking financial aid to pursue a postgraduate degree program at one of the leading universities in Canada. Although the scholarship is not fully funded, it can still go a long way to help students clear off outstanding school fees for three years.